You’re entitled to the help you need

First in line to help you is your teacher, although there are other people at your school who can help you. It's important that you speak up if your teacher hasn't noticed that you're finding a certain subject tricky. You can speak with your teacher, your parents, or another adult.

What if you're finding it difficult to pass a subject?

Your school must help you if you're finding it difficult to pass a subject. There may be many reasons for you falling behind. These include illness, disruption in your life, or you simply not enjoying school. The reasons why you've fallen behind are irrelevant.

However, the school must look at why you didn't score as highly as you should have done on a test, or why you're struggling to concentrate. They must then help you to learn the things you missed in the lessons. It's important that your school understands why you're finding things difficult, otherwise they may be unable to help you in the best way.

You can get help in the form of adaptations to suit you, or special support. Adaptations include help planning your school work, or getting a special textbook. Special support may include getting assistance from a specialist teacher or other person to support you. Your school must give you the help you need – this may give you access to a lot of help and a variety of measures.

If you still cannot get help

You must speak with your teacher or another adult who you trust if you feel you aren't getting the help you need. They can then speak with your teacher or the school principal. The adults in your school must ensure that you receive as good an education as possible.

If you feel that the school principal isn't listening to you, you can speak with those who run the school, i.e. the person who governs the school principal. You can also let SSI know if you feel you're not getting the support you're entitled to – read more here:
You can let us know